The Special Needs Dentistry Practice is conveniently located in Crows Nest on Sydney's Lower North Shore. We offer a full range of specialist dental services for children, adolescents and adults with special needs. We also take a special interest in Chalky Teeth, which are particularly common in those who experienced medical issues as a baby or child.
We are a private practice focused on the improvement of oral health in individuals with physical, mental and intellectual disabilities, social impairments, those with chronic illness, and the elderly. This includes, but is not limited to, individuals with:
- Dental/medical phobias
- Anxiety and depression
- Chromosomal disorders (e.g. Down''s syndrome)
- Neurodegenerative disorders (e.g. Parkinson’s disease, Huntington''s disease, dementia, stroke victims)
- Developmental and behavioural disorders (e.g. Autism spectrum conditions, ADHD)
- Motor disorders (e.g. cerebral palsy)
- Paralysis (e.g. paraplegia, quadraplegia)
- Brain injury
We also cater to individuals in the transitional period from paediatric to special needs adult services, when it is so easy for them to be lost in the system.
The provision of care for people with special needs is often complex and time consuming, and we therefore offer appointment times tailored to individual needs. We employ a holistic approach to treatment, taking into account such factors as quality of life, general well-being and maintainance of function, whilst ensuring open communication, understanding and coordination with parents, carers and other treating medical professionals.
The Special Needs Dentistry Practice is able to offer treatment in our surgery under local anaesthesia and/or nitrous oxide sedation, as well as general anaesthesia at Crows Nest Day Surgery, Prince of Wales Private Hospital, North Shore Private Hospital and St George Private Hospital. Initial consultations are required before any treatment can take place, but in some circumstances, telephone and/or home consultations may be considered.
What to expect from The Special Needs Dentistry Practice
- Specialised and comprehensive long-term preventative care.
- Expert diagnosis and management of chalky teeth
- Expertise in extensive restorative and surgical treatments.
- Understanding of the relationship between dental issues and particular health problems.
- Compassion in the management of the phobic patient and with the often challenging behaviour of people with intellectual disabilities.
- Ability to provide behaviour management in the anxious patient, making use of both non-pharmacologic and pharmacologic methods - analgesia, conscious sedation and general anaesthesia.
- An understanding of the attitudinal barriers that people with disabilities can encounter and an ability to demonstrate an appropriate level of etiquette.
- Providing complete treatment for the transition from natural teeth to dentures (and understanding the emotional effect).
We would encourage you to explore the rest of the information contained on our website. If you require any further information, or just want to ask a few questions, please don't hesitate to Contact Us.